What is cholesterol?
Origin and role of cholesterol
- endogenous: it is mainly synthesized by the liver.
- exogenous: it is for a quarter brought by the diet.
- An essential constituent of bile, its metabolic role does not stop there and its functions are multiple:
- 90% of cholesterol is used for the constitution of cell membranes
- its role is fundamental for our brain by promoting the formation of synapses
- it is a precursor of vitamin D and certain hormones (testosterone, cortisol)
Good or bad cholesterol?
- The "bad" (LDL) is transported from the liver to the cells. It is to this one that we reproach to clog the arteries in the passage.
- The "good" (HDL) is transported from the cells to the liver and then eliminated by the bile.
What are the risks of high cholesterol?
Factors that increase bad cholesterol levels
Poor food hygiene
How to naturally fight against hypercholesterolemia?
An adapted lifestyle and eating behaviour
Let's recall these few basic notions:
- a significant contribution of varied seasonal fruits and vegetables
- the use of virgin vegetable oils (olive, rapeseed, camelina, nuts, sesame ...) to be added ideally to the plate
- the consumption of oilseeds (the almond preferably because it is cholesterol-lowering)
- Reduce animal protein to two or three times a week by favoring fish, poultry, rabbit ...
- Avoid animal fats and saturated fats
- Consume legumes (rich in protein): lentils, azuki beans, chickpeas, red beans...
- Drink pu-erh tea (naturally cholesterol-lowering)
- Add garlic to all preparations
Niacin or vit B3 or PP
Red yeast rice
What is red rice?
Stronger than rice, Red yeast rice:
Omega-3 fatty acids
- fatty fish: cod liver oil, salmon, mackerel... (but beware: it is difficult today not to be exposed to heavy metals from wild fish and insecticides from farms)
- the rabbit
- eggs from respectful farming
- oilseeds (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, pistachios...)
- chia seeds and flax seeds (nearly 2500mg of omega-3 / teaspoon)
- certain oils (rapeseed, camelina, flax, hemp, nuts, perilla)